A PASSION FOR NATURAL HAIR

A PASSION FOR NATURAL HAIR
NINE ETHER COILS OF HAIR CONNECTS US TO THE UNIVERSE

Friday, April 20, 2012

Yendys At Crowns For A cure Event/ Essence.com STREET STYLE



Cultural events like the African Film Festival and Brooklyn Museum's First Saturdays always draw the coolest creative types. These ladies are fashion rule makers and breakers, pushing the edge in mismatched prints and contrast colors. They simply wear what they feel without regard to the season's hottest trends, and we love them for it! Check out these artsy ladies here.

Read more: http://www.essence.com/2012/04/20/street-style-artsy-types/#ixzz1swNMTRin

Funky Fashion

Hairstylist Yendsy Nefer-Atum wears a Tribal Truth jacket with a top and skirt from Marshalls, and adornments by Studio of Ptah and Sistaphyre Kreations (on FaceBook)
So, Here I am in www.essence.com again...I'm very excited!




Ever-so-passionate about women’s empowerment, celebrity hairstylist Hadiiya Barbel is on a journey to use her love of hair to transform the lives of cancer survivors. Barbel hosted the Crowns and Cocktails event in New York City where guests were fitted with custom wigs to mask the hair loss that comes with cancer treatment. 

"I created ‘Crowns and Cocktails’ to celebrate these women and to give them a safe place to celebrate themselves," said Barbel. "After working with many cancer survivors and women suffering from alopecia who would always tell me that they just wanted to look normal, I wanted to show them their inner and outer queen — and every queen must have her own custom crown."

All the wigs that Barbel creates are donated to Crowns for a Cure, an organization that honors cancer survivors and raises cancer awareness. Check out the royal hairstyles we spotted at this gathering of New York City’s finest for a day of beauty, healing and sisterhood.

Read more: http://www.essence.com/2012/04/18/street-style-crowns-for-a-cure/#ixzz1swQJp31K




Img_6364





It's Friday, April 20th 2012... Lots of CELEBRATING TODAY, I HEAR...LOL 

This morning I'm feeling a buzz for another reason. About 8:30am I turned on my laptop as I walked toward the kitchen. I do the usual walked through my African adorned, bedstuy apartment every morning. I opened the curtains to welcome another day, inspect my many house plants, check my window box garden of herbs for any new growth. Then, I sat down on my couch in the living room. I checked my yahoo mail to see if I had any product orders to fill from my etsy.com/shop/yendysasis online store.Next, I opened my Face Book page; I saw an essence.com link in my news feed. I clicked on it because I was told that I might be in the next issue by one of their photographers (Hannan Selah) this past Sunday, April 15th at Hadiiyah Barbels 'Crowns For a Cure' Event at Alibi Hair Salon in Manhattan.


Copper Cool


Mixing a variety of sizes in the same metals and colors is a fun way to make a bold statement....www.essence.com

I unconsciously giggled in pure satisfaction  when I saw the actual image, I just really smiled hard from my insides out! I wanted to dance around in celebration. Honestly, after I posted, shared and re-posted my picture to all of the social media sites, I did get up off the couch, walked over to the full length mirror in my studio and started to have my own private party! I was Belly Dancing around in my space to Shakira's 'hips don't lie.'...lol. You can bet that I'll still be celebrating this weekend. I'm not sure how or where but, I will be enjoying this personal achievement. Hey, wherever I am, it will be a happy time!

 This is actually my second feature in their STREET STYLE: ECLECTIC COOL gallery. Since the 'Crowns For Cure' Event, I have been staying connected via FB and email with the other like minded people I met there; photographers, models and other hair stylists. As far as my personal involvement with that event; I was asked to create 100 of my natural hair and body sample product packs as give-aways for the event. I stayed up for twenty-four hours, making products, bottling, labeling, packaging, decorating the bags, counting items, including all of my contact info...making sure each bag had all four sample items inside. My hubby helped me also. He's my biggest fan...lol I'm very grateful for having him in my world.



Boho Bling  www.essence.com





Each guest received a gift bag containing some fabulous beauty products from SEPHORA, JANE CARTER, ROCKS For Life and yours truly ANCIENT BLENDS natural hair and body products. It was truly an honor for me to have been able to participate in such a worthy cause. I am all for helping women to live their most beautiful lives. Hair is a necessary essential for a lot of us and due to challenges such as cancer, alopecia etc have access to quality crowns make a huge difference. As Hadiiyah states, "my crowns are couture." I must say that Hadiiyah's crowns are the most realistic ones I have ever seen. I sometimes rock a 'fro from time to time. Folks are always wondering, how I manage to tuck my waist-length locs under a wig!...A girl can't share all of her secrets now can she?...hehehehe

Okay, so today I've spent the better part of the last seven hours promoting my self and my company The Cowrie Shell Center through the social networking forums. It surly  beats standing outside the subway stations handing out my business card...that's for sure. I'm looking forward to hearing from the folks who decide that they like my product samples and now wish to purchase some. They have all of my information. 

Now, on to my next projects....

Celebrating Earth Day and Mother's Day Gift Bags and getting ready for Memorial Day BAM Bazaar!!!
Credit: Hannan Saleh


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers